Thursday, February 5, 2009

Kaitlyn's birth story

I started having contractions at about 7 o’clock as I was putting Nick to bed. I had downloaded a labor mate application on my phone so I would push the start and stop button for each contraction and it would time them for me. After an hour of intense contractions between 1 min and 3 min apart (and had back labor once again), I called Eddie to come home from work, and my mom to come over to stay with Nick. We were at the hospital by 9 and I was dilated to 3 cm (same as I was that morning at my doctor’s appt). The midwife wanted me to go walk the halls for 2 hours and if I did not have any progress, they were going to send me home. After 20 min I was done walking and in too much pain to continue. They checked me again and I was at 5 cm. I was being admitted…They finally got me in the room about an hour labor (10:30) and ordered the epidural. Around 11 they checked me again and I was at an 8, but they started the epidural anyways. My blood pressure dropped severely and I got nauseous. They tried to increase my blood pressure and finally got me back to normal around 11:30. At this point, the midwife was breaking my water and felt Kaitlyn’s mouth. She tried to turn her herself since she was face up and my blood pressure dropped again and I started to vomit. At about 11:45 they had me on my side hoping that would turn the baby. I was still having and feeling all the contractions, except my back did not hurt anymore. The midwife was coming back to check me in an hour, but they brought her back sooner because I was having so much pressure with each contraction. At 12:45, I was at 10 cm and started pushing. Kaitlyn was born at 1:06 am. She had turned herself in the correct position and was perfect. When they put her on my chest, the first thing out of my mouth was “she looks just like her brother”. I wish I didn't have the epidural. It definitely was not worth the back pain I have now, for such little relief.

Postpartum has been much better and different this time around. With Nick, I suffered from PPD and did not want anything to do with him after he was born. With Kaitlyn, I am completely and utterly in love. I want to hold her constantly and do not want her out of my sight.

I was going to attempt breastfeeding this time around as well and after a 45 min screaming fit the first night in the hospital, we had to supplement her. The next morning I tried to breastfeed and had nothing coming out at all. Needless to say, Kaitlyn is a formula baby just like her brother. It is probably a good thing though, as this little girl can easily suck down 4 ounces at a time already.

Nick is a VERY good big brother. He loves his little sister and wants to hold her all the time. He was actually up with us the first night we were home at every feeding wanting to help. He kneels down next to her and says, “Its ok baby girl, I’m right here, I’m not going anywhere. I love you”. SO CUTE!!! Of course, he is jealous and is acting out. Between the whining, yelling, and being a normal almost 3 year old…we are going NUTS!

1 comments:

Dibeh said...

Thanks for sharing.
I am sure you will manage. Once Daddy is not there Nick can't ask for his attention. When you are alone get Nicholas involved in getting things and reward him with lots of positive compliments. Before he acts out to get negative attention. Lots of tenderly loving, happy valentine.